Why use visual Stories? Well, we know that a picture says more than a 1000 words, an interactive visualization is more than a 1000 pictures and with Visual Storytelling a big difference is created, namely “knowledge and understanding”.
Many people perceive statistics as dry as dust. With Visual storytelling, statistics instead becomes interesting and accessible. It’s a method to make it easier for the user to analyze, gain insights in data, create an interactive story and finally publish the discovered understandings and knowledge on a website or blog. The visualizations provides possibilities to explore, analyze and gain insights about our world in a new way. A Story explains the background to the information, and is often based on the four “W”:s Where, What, When and Why?
With only a couple clicks on your computer, you can for instance find out which country in the world that has the lowest GDP and see how that reflects on aging population and education etcetera.
A visual Story helps students!
- They no longer need to browse back and forth in books to get an overlook of a subject.
- It makes it easier for them to understand connections and do comparisons.
- Statistics becomes more accessible for them, e.g. for students with reading disabilities.
Students views on working with a visual story.
A visual Story aids teachers!
- They are given opportunity to take part of interactive vislets (educational material)
- They are given opportunity to create custom vislets which develops the students abilities.
- They can effectively aim their students focus towards relevant information, instead of letting them search freely on the internet.
Teachers views on educating with a visual story.